Thursday, December 22, 2011

EE Mission Day 13 - Meeting Kathleen

Before writing about our meeting with Kathleen, I need to back track a few days to update you on some news we received Monday. Many months ago I wrote a blog post about the fate of children with Down Syndrome and other special needs when they turn four years old in this country. Sometimes I got the impression that people didn't really believe what I wrote.

When these children turn four, or five in some regions, they are taken from their baby house orphanage and placed into an institution. Once this happens, their chances of being adopted decreases even more.  Plus, depending on the institution, they may not even survive. For two days, I've pondered whether or not I would share this news, but today I think it is important to know that we are witnessing this type of fate first hand.

Kathleen turned four back in July. Since that time we've been praying that she wouldn't be transferred to an institution before we could get to her. We were informed on Monday that precious little Kathleen was now in an institution. She's been there since October. My heart became heavy with fear, and I know I was doubting God's plan. In my mind, I've played out the scenario of what happens when this type of transfer takes place, based mainly on information I've read.

She was abandoned at birth, and at four years of age had to leave the only people and home she's ever known. She was taken by people she probably didn't know, and driven about two hours away to be admitted to an institution. I could have burst into tears when I first looked at her and noticed that her long beautiful blond hair had been shaved off. If you have a child this age, imagine them in this scenario. We are thankful that God is using us to directly intervene in her life, and change it forever. She is made in His image; the same image as you and I were made.

We are boldly praying that it's God's will that we have court next week. In the meantime, we are thankful that she seems to have attentive caregivers. We plan to visit her each day until we travel back to Gayle's region for court, hopefully the 28th or 29th of December.



You can cut off my hair, but you can't take away my beautiful blue eyes!

5 comments:

  1. Ah, she is sooo cute and beautiful!What a sweet little girl!She is such a blessing! We will pray more hard for court.

    Stephanie, children are having cutting their hair not just in mental institutions but in all orphanages while they are small.Probably most of them to age of 13 years old.But age depends from an orphanage.

    Staff does not inquire even teens, want they to wear long hair or no, just cut off hair.If you will not obey you will have a trouble.When I was at orphanage, age 12 years old, no one inquired me, just had cut off my hair.I cried and pleaded, do not cut off my hair but no one listened me.I looked like a boy and I felt shy very much, because I looked horrible.
    When my sis.Oksana was 9 years old, they shaved her hair and she was bald, even without short hair.She cried.When I saw her I was angry much at staff because they did not ask me as her sister about permit.But they never asked.But I could not help my sister, it was too late.She wore headwear in warm time that had hidden her head without hair.She felt shy very much. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL.... SHAVED HEAD OR NOT!! I am so glad you are there to give voice to those who are desperate and needy. I don't know how her institute compares to others but I do know this.... it is a point of no return unless people cross the ocean and THAT message needs to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so precious and beautiful. Thank you for going to rescue her. I am so glad that she now has a Mom and Dad to love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so beautiful, even with her hair all cut off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my heart sank when I read that she was sent to the institution already! She still is so beautiful even with her hair cut off. Praying for court to be asap!

    ReplyDelete