Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Idol of Personal Peace and Affluence

Luke 18

The Pharisee and the Tax Collector

9He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: 10"Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.' 13But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."

Let the Children Come to Me

15 Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. 16But Jesus called them to him, saying, "Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it."


My intention over my next several posts is to reflect a little deeper on "The orphan crisis: what can we do to help?" categories that my sister in Christ Sabrina let me use from her blog. These categories include: Learn, Pray, Adopt, Advocate, and Support.

Before I move forward with expanding on the "Learn" category, I believe it is important to establish a foundation for understanding what contributes to the Orphan crisis, and many other crises in the world.

Please make time to watch these video clips from Francis Schaeffer's "How Should We Then Live" series. As you watch and listen to the points made, try to apply them to how the world system, and dare I say many professing Christians, deal with orphan care...


PART 1:


PART 2:


PART 3:



I confess that what the late Francis Schaeffer describes in these videos is still a huge idol that my sinful flesh is drawn to. This is why what Stephanie and I are looking to do with regard to this adoption is not anything to do with how "noble" we are; it has everything to do with the Grace and Mercy bestowed upon us by the Triune God!

Abba! Father! Thank You for Your Sanctifying Grace and Mercy!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Kimble family.

    Welcome to your journey over the "Reece's Rainbow". I pray God continues to guide you along this path. Please keep strong with each other.
    Since we are almost neighbors (we are in Hershey area) I wanted to offer you any insight we can give on this journey as we just brought our Julianna home last August. (You can see our picture on the RR website for the DS girls 6+ years.)
    There are several families I follow and pray for on RR. I will be adding your family to the list.

    God bless.

    Ken L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post and the videos. It kind of shows how our society has gotten to where it is now.

    I saw today on RR that you are listed as "Homestudy Complete"! Yay!

    Still praying all goes quickly and smoothly.

    ReplyDelete