Friday, July 15, 2011

Though I Was Born an Orphan

A few days ago someone within our circle of family and friends said this to me, "I think you should just cancel this".  The "this" was referring to our adoption of Kathleen.  I immediately felt angry, hurt, and ungodly thoughts began crossing my mind.  This comment was made on the same day we committed to beautiful little Gayle.  When I told Corey, his response to me was, "Spiritual Warfare", and that it truly is.  The positive side is that I, once again, shared the WHY? of this mission we are on for GOD.  That in itself was a blessing because I had the opportunity to share the gospel.  I ended our conversation by reading the lyrics of a hymn we recently sang at church (Though I Was Born an Orphan).  It paints a beautiful song picture of our adoption as sons and ends with our calling to help the fatherless.  Here are the lyrics:

Click here to read the story behind this hymn, as well as hear a demo

Though I was born an orphan,
Abandoned and alone,
Enslaved and bound in darkness,
Without a hope or home,
The God of grace and mercy
From his eternal throne
Ordained to be my Father
And claim me as His own.

That I might be adopted
The Father sent his Son
To live in full obedience
And die for what I’ve done.
Now through his resurrection,
Through faith, with him I’m one.
A member of his household,
I am an heir, a son.

To soothe my fear and worry
The Spirit from on high
Was sent to be a witness
That “Father!” I might cry.
O How I love this Father!
I’m never left alone.
He’s come to dwell within me
Until he calls me home.

Since I have this adoption,
I cannot close my home
To widows and to orphans,
Abandoned and alone.
Lord, fill me with compassion
To love the fatherless,
That I might show the nations
How great my Father is!



THIS IS WHY KATHLEEN AND GAYLE WILL BECOME PART OF OUR FAMILY!



1 comment:

  1. Stephanie, thank you for sharing that hymn. I continue to pray for your adoption and your girls.

    ReplyDelete