Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Faith Like a Child


Matthew 11:25-30 (this is after Jesus denounced the cities where most of his mighty works had been done, because they did not repent)...

25 At that time Jesus declared, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

I came across this article during my morning news review. It stirred up a memory from when Stephanie was pregnant with our first son (Trevor). To put things in context, we were not Christians at the time...

The pregnancy included "Level 2" ultrasounds; the first of which resulted in the fetus possessing 2 of the 6 "indicators" for Down Syndrome. I recall the confusion and anxiety it caused initially. I also remember abortion NEVER being an option for us; to that I praise the Lord for the Grace He gave us during that time (with regard to not letting our desire for inner peace and affluence drive a decision regarding the termination of the pregnancy).

I commend the story told in this article to you all; may the Lord use it to teach, rebuke, correct, and encourage us all regarding our "worldly" attitudes...

Here is an excerpt:

Gabe's mother and Peter's wife, Tara King, was 18 weeks pregnant when test results confirmed she was carrying a child with Down syndrome, a chromosomal variation that causes mental and physical delays. She was standing in the foyer of their home at the time in Cleveland when the doctor called with the news.

Their eldest son, Nate, then 8, heard her burst into tears and asked what was wrong.

"Is it Grandma?"

"No, Grandma is fine."

"Is it Daddy?" Peter had thrown out his back and was upstairs in bed at the time.

"No, Daddy is fine."

Nate was aware of the test and finally asked: "Is it the baby? Does it have Down syndrome?"

When his mother nodded yes, he said, "Oh, good."

The Kings enjoy telling this story, recalling how Nate's relief brought perspective to what seeme like the end of the world.

"In that moment of absolute grief, that little piece of clarity and truth, it took my breath away," Tara recalled.

The couple met with a genetic counselor who laid out options. They could choose an abortion or early induced labor - which would result in the death of the fetus. Or Tara could carry the baby to term. Nine in 10 fetuses that test positive for Down syndrome are aborted.

"I remember being told to think about our other children and how this is going to affect them," said Tara, recalling conversations with friends and family members. "It was unspoken, but the message was, 'You really need to not have this baby because it's going to ruin everything for the kids.' Which in retrospect is just kind of funny, because if nothing, they've grown from the experience."

No comments:

Post a Comment